This looks like a small update for Wikked but it’s kind of the reason this blog
has been so quiet lately…
If you don’t want to hear about it, just know this:
If you want the full story, keep reading.
Since I announced Wikked here, I’ve been mostly working on fixing bugs, editing the documentation, and evaluating its performance – which is what we’ll look at here today.
The big question I wanted to answer was how far you can go with just the default configuration, which is based on SQLite and requires no setup from the user. The reason for this was twofold:
- I needed to write some advice in the documentation about when you should start looking into more sophisticated setups.
- I plan to setup a public test wiki where people can try Wikked directly, and I needed to know if it would go down after I post the link on Reddit or HackerNews.
There hasn’t been any updates on this blog for a few months, and there was a good reason for that: I was working on someting new.
The problem is that I was trying to get this new project to a “good enough” state to launch publicly… but somehow I ended up in a seemingly infinite loop of improvements, refactorings, and bug fixing.
Eventually I snapped out of it: fuck it, let’s launch it as is, and see if anybody cares enough to complain that it’s not good enough. I wrote some basic documentation, fought with
setuptools for packaging, and uploaded it to the Python package server.
So lo and behold, here is Wikked, a wiki engine entirely managed with text files sitting in a revision control system.
I think it’s pretty cool, so come read more about it after the break!